I’ve been thinking about building a game table for some time now and my plans have gone through several different versions along the way. You can view a rough mock up of my current plans above.
A quick overview of the plans:
- 64” x 50” tempered glass surface. (Light blue)
- Underneath a 40” flat screen TV. (Gray)
- Around the TV a frame built out of 4×4. (Brown)
- 2 bars under the TV. Bolted to the TV using the normal wall mount holes. Attached to the bottom of the 4×4. This should place the TV just under the glass surface. (Neon green)
- 4 legs attached to the corners of the frame.
- Someway to secure the glass in place… I’m not sure about this. Suction cups on the frame perhaps.
- I’ll likely attach a power stripe to the outside of the frame, on the DM’s side of the table.
Why am I using a TV rather than the “traditional” projector?
There are a few reasons:
- Projectors need lots of space. Whether its throw distance, or room for the projector itself, or whatever.
- Projectors cost lots of money. The 40” TV cost me $500 at Best Buy. Yes, I could have found a projector in the same price range, but it would have needed even more space between the projector and the surface.
- Projectors have to be lined up perfectly. I wanted to mount the display beneath the table, which for a projector means I needed either a very expensive projector with a short throw distance or else I would have needed to do some funkiness with mirrors.
- In the end buying a TV and mounting it below the surface just seemed like a much easier solution to me.
- First Game, First Death It seems that I have always wanted to try Dungeons...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.